When it comes to picking a wedding ring, there are several considerations that you must make. The kind of work you do is an important factor to consider, especially if your job can potentially damage the ring. If you are active with your hands, lifting weights or working with a variety of tools, durability will need to be a major consideration for you. This will inform the metals you select, which can be tungsten, palladium, platinum, titaniumor gold in the lower carat range. Here are a few other things to have in mind:
- 1.Start your search early – You need to
start looking for a ring early enough so that you can have time to look around
and make the right purchase. Give yourself at least 2-3 months before the big day. You can start by browsing the internet for wedding
bands so that you can get an idea of what is out there.
Research the prices as well in light of your budget and then come back to the rings that you really like before making a decision. If you are thinking of getting a custom made ring or matching set, you should start even earlier. The same applies if you are thinking of engraving or getting some other extras.
- 2.Have a budget – The average amount spent
on wedding rings is 3% of the overall wedding budget. However, this should not
limit you if you feel that you have room to splurge a little. Rings can start
at anything from $250 and go into the thousands of dollars. If you are looking
for embellishments such as engraving or diamonds, the cost can add up quickly,
so you need to factor in any extras that you may want.
- 3.Narrow down your selection – There are
very many options available so you need to narrow down your selection to what
you really like. Start by thinking about the style that you are interested
in. Is it a simple band or a patterned
and embellished one? Also think about the metal options out there. Some of the
rarer metals are very expensive while others are cheaper. If you are looking
for matching bands, you should settle on a metal between the two of you.
- 4.Step out of your comfort zone – It may be a good idea to look at rings that you may not have thought of in the past. A braided ring, or one made from rose gold, may be a great idea if you are willing to step outside of your comfort zone. It is important to have an open mind and to ask the jeweler to give you suggestions as well.Exotic inlays may also be something to look into if you want a unique ring.
- 5.Getting the right size – Because most people keep their rings on when doing different activities and through every season of the year, getting the right fit is very important. You must consider the fact that your fingers contract and swell during different seasons and times of the day. It is important to size your finger when you are calm and your body temperature is normal, preferably at the end of the day. Picking the right size goes a long way in ensuring that men’s wedding bands are comfortable.
- 6.Quality check – A good jeweler will make
sure that the wedding rings he carries are great quality. In order to make sure that you are buying a
quality product, you should look out for two marks.
The quality mark which is usually PLAT or 24K as an example. This is your confirmation of metal quality.
The trademark of the manufacturer, which will tell you that the ring has the backing of a legitimate manufacturer.
- 7.Care and Maintenance – Cleaning your
wedding ring is generally not difficult. You just need to soak it in warm soapy
water and then brush it clean with a toothbrush. You don’t want to apply a lot
of pressure on it, especially if it has stones since they can become loose.
Once done, simply rinse the ring and pat it dry. If you are the kind of person
who can’t find the time to do this, you can find a ring that only needs a
little rubbing with a lint-free soft cloth. The best materials for that are platinum and gold rings.
- 8.Consider how long you will wear the ring – Most people go into marriage with the hope of being married for many years. It is therefore important that you buy the kind of ring that will look stylish through the years. Of course you can always make a variety of changes to your ring to tweak it, but the overall style should be timeless. As the anniversaries role in, you can choose to make a mark on the ring or to add diamonds.
- 9.Think about your lifestyle – The ring you choose should fit well into your life since you will be wearing it every day. One of the major considerations is whether or not you play an instrument or sports. If so, a ring that has rounded edges will do better because if offers a comfortable fit. You should consider hard metal rings if you are working with your hands daily and be sure to keep away from gemstones. People who are very active should consider platinum rings because they tend to be more durable.
- 10.Contrasting rings – If you and your bride to be do not agree on the same kind of rings, there is nothing wrong with mixing it up. The style and metal do not necessarily have to match. It is best to figure out what you each like and then add something to tie them together. You may consider blending both metals, or adding similar diamonds or engravings to the rings. You should be comfortable with the bands and they should reflect your style.
Make this process lots of fun, work within your budget and make sure that you pick bands that complement your relationship and your personality.